BOSTON — A Roslindale man is facing charges for rapes dating back to 2013 and 2007 and police and prosecutors credit a new review of DNA evidence in those cases.
Irving Pierre faces a judge on Friday for the 2013 case. Prosecutors said Pierre attacked a woman in the Arnold Arboretum on August 31, 2013, by punching her in the face and head repeatedly before raping her. Evidence collected in that case was entered into the FBI’s “Combined DNA Index System.”
Bail was set at $25,000, and Pierre was ordered to stay away from and have no contact with the victim and to surrender his passport.
Pierre will be back in court on Monday in the 2007 case. He’s accused of assaulting a 16-year-old girl who woke up to find her shirt had been removed without her consent. DNA samples from that assault were also entered into the FBI system.
Prosecutors say that In January, the database found a match between the DNA samples in the two cases.
“The match indicated that the same, unknown individual committed both assaults, but it did not link the samples to a known offender,” according to a statement from the district attorney’s office. “Through the course of a renewed investigation, Boston Police detectives identified Pierre as a suspect and obtained his DNA from a discarded nip bottle that he was observed drinking from. That DNA sample was subsequently matched to the previously unsolved attacks.”
“No matter how long ago an attack happened, we will continue to work on behalf of survivors to ensure justice on their behalf,” said Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden. “The victims of these assaults have waited years for answers, and today we have them as a result of the outstanding work of our partners at the Boston Police Department’s Sexual Assault Unit.”
This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.
Download the FREE Boston 25 News app for breaking news alerts.
©2022 Cox Media Group